Monday, June 21, 2010

And so it began....

This year my husband, Scott & I decided to join a CSA.. What is a CSA? It has nothing to do with a crime scene as some have asked... it stands for Community Supported Agriculture.

What does that mean? A local farmer will offer pre-paid 'shares' of that years' food crop to a pre-determined number of families. In exchange, once a week the families go to the farm & pick up their share of that week's crop. More CSA information  I had heard this through friends so I did some research & we picked Plato's Harvest Organic Farm.  Dave & his wife, Sasha  clearly have a passion for what they do.


We are into our second week of the 2010 season & I am beyond thrilled that we chose to join. The produce that we receive is amazing.  The picture above is what we received week one.  There is an optional bread share that we did choose to join as well. The strawberries pictured were not part of the share, but purchased from his neighbor, organic & delicious!

We have received foods that we have never tried before, which is really exciting for me! These are garlic scapes. I sauteed  them with a little bit of butter & olive oil, seasoned with salt & pepper, and boy, were they a hit!!


Many things of the farm are Pick your own  (PYO). The first week was herbs.  I cannot tell you how thrilled I am to have a jar of fresh herbs in my fridge!!!

My main intent of this blog is to post recipes & the information that I've research about the new new-to-me vegetables... The first few posts may not have a lot of information, but I promise to come back & fill in more information!

xoxo



No comments: